
Last time I wrote anything in this blog, I was struggling to come up with enough to say (as if my incessant posting about Twilight didn’t tip you off to this fact by now).
So I quit. And that was a year and a half ago.
Sorry about that… but let me explain…
This blog has never been about a life journey, self discovery, or anything hinged on the assumption that y’all care to hear the ins and outs of my life. I’m not inspirational, wise, or influential, nor will I pretend to be. What I am is funny, intelligent, quick witted, and observant. But you may not realize that I’m also empathetic, optimistic, and unceasingly kind.
Which leads me back to the year plus Sweet… with a side of Snarky moratorium… Being both sweet and snarky is an oxymoron. A tenuous dichotomy, if you will (for those who may have missed my Dawson’s Creek trained vocabulary – you’re welcome).
With a subtly sarcastic undertone, it became increasingly difficult to create equilibrium with sweetness. When you can’t strike a good balance you end up going down one of two paths. The first is the path of ridicule where inherent compassion is trumped by overt meanness. The second is a saccharine façade of annoying quips based on cuteness rather than real intelligence. Neither of these are good options.
And thus, my dilemma was born. Too kind to be mean and too respectful to be annoying, I threw in the towel.
But that doesn’t mean I didn’t think about how I could make it work. I repurposed my blogging time into ‘me’ time, working through everything from new concepts for a blog to establishing a purpose that was not only meaningful enough to keep me interested but entertaining. It was existential and sometimes bordered on cheesy but the answer came to me in bits and pieces, and pointed to one thing.
The answer was me.
The thing that ultimately made all this fun, meaningful, and interesting was me. As hugely self-centered as that sounds (it DID take a vain quality* to start a blog in the first place), l had to remember that the beauty of the Internet is that an average well-meaning someone (with an above-average grasp of the English language and a little time on her hands) can have her own little corner of cyberspace, use her powers for good, and maybe learn a little bit about herself along the way**.
And there it is. A well narrated experience of being something (no matter what it is) can be genuine, can be sweet, and can be absolutely hysterical.
I figured it out
It is okay to use your own life as a muse. It is okay to find humor in the ordinary things that happen to you because they are often the ordinary things that people relate to. If your medium is what sets you apart, then use it to tell as many stories as you can.
So maybe this won’t always be snarky. Maybe it won’t always be sweet. But I promise I’ll always tell a good story.
*Astrological sign = Leo. Therefore this makes perfect sense.
**And laugh in the face of the run on sentence.
Hi Old Friends
Posted by Rebecca Labels: The Day Job Ate My Free Time, Things that I really should be embarassed about...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment