And the Creep Prize goes to... Chuck E. Cheese!

As a shy and awkward kid, I hated any classmate who had his or her birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese (in rural Indiana in the late 80s, the chain was called ShowBiz Pizza*). This frizzy haired girl who stood inches shorter than her peers couldn't handle the terrifying puppet show, greasy pizza, or pit of colored balls that smelled vaguely of diapers.


Cautious to a fault, I shied away from Whack-a-Mole, Skeeball, and the futile effort to earn tickets and sought solace in the dark theater, looming in the back of the building.

It was there that I was emotionally assaulted by the distressing stage show starring the one and only, Chuck E. Cheese.


After pizza parties were relegated to ‘uncool’ by my classmates and me (I never told anyone they were ALWAYS ‘uncool’), I heard that the franchise had been re-named in honor of the notorious rat in party garb, Chuck E. Cheese.

(shudders)


All of that aside, I think that today, I've gotten my revenge: Chuck E. Cheese busted.


*Don't hold the picture quality against me, scanned ads from 1987 aren't the best quality.

1 comments:

treehuggin' hippie said...

haha, that's awesome

Post a Comment