Welcome 2009!

TGI 2009! Okay, that didn’t work too well but I’m still optimistic that it will catch on.

I wasn’t planning to write anything until January 2009 but a quiet week at work and a whirlwind month provided the time and need for a bit of good old-fashioned reflection.

Before you delete this blog from your favorites, I am NOT turning it into a repository for my deep thoughts and reflections (read: Oprah still has her job). But, all sarcasm aside (for 5 seconds, guys!), 2008 has been a year of immeasurable growth so I can’t help but share a few things I’ve learned along the way:

  1. You can’t recycle everything. Soda cans, glass bottles, and, on rare occasions, Lean Cuisine packages are fair game. Ex boyfriends, however, are not recyclable.
  2. Your car will break down eventually. You’d best buy a new one while you can get good financing and a giant bow (really bad picture of me, sorry).
  3. If you want long hair, don’t cut it. For some reason, it took me ten years to figure this out.
  4. Some cities are great… for just visiting.
  5. Who needs diamonds when you can wear pearls EVERY day? Okay, I still like diamonds but I did discover a deep love of pearls in 2008.
  6. There is a lovely subset of the population (readable base, if you will) that reads my blog regularly and seems to think I’m funny enough to keep reading. Thank you – I have a job for you in 2009 so please continue to come back.
  7. Once you reach 21, you probably aren’t going to grow any taller. Get a good pair of heels and suck it up.
  8. Celebrate who you were… It made you who you are.
  9. You are more than just your sense of humor, wardrobe, and job. Don’t be afraid of the whole being greater than the sum.
  10. 'Amazing and delicious salad' is not an oxymoron. I created one.
  11. Statements made in the absolute are recipe for disaster. For example, saying “I’ll never eat meat again”, repeating said statement for all to hear, and eating only bread and carrots for three days may land you on the floor of a Barnes & Noble (ironically, while reading a recipe book).
  12. Never underestimate your ability to paint a room, install bookshelves, or fix a bathtub.
  13. You do know how to hold a baby without dropping him/her.
  14. A bar (even a small one) in your home adds instant sophistication.
  15. Vacationing by yourself isn’t bad at all.
  16. Go ahead, make a New Years Resolution. Then make plans for June where you and your friends drink champagne and discuss broken resolutions.

Cheers to 2008! Welcome 2009!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Great lessons. I'll have to remember some of those. ;)

treehuggin' hippie said...

i love your purple coat in the CR-V picture.

Post a Comment